If you are collecting rainwater in a tank or have a well on your property, it’s necessary to treat your water to rid of harmful microorganisms. Chlorine is the most commonly used chemical for water treatment. While it used to be considered safe, it’s now believed that drinking chlorinated water can have a carcinogenic effect. So, what can you use to safely treat your water? The answer is Hydrogen Peroxide 3% - Oxygen PlusTM, a food-grade solution made in pure distilled water. Hydrogen peroxide is a high-level disinfectant that works quickly to release oxygen atoms and oxidize organic matter. Hydrogen peroxide kills 99.99% of bacteria, viruses, mould spores, yeast, and fungi to help prevent the transmission of common and serious illnesses. It’s just as effective as chlorine, but is a much safer option.
Simply follow these steps:
Mix 2 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% – Oxygen PlusTM per 3.7 litres of water.
Let the purified water sit for at least 24 hours.
Chemically speaking, hydrogen peroxide (H202) is very similar in composition to water (H20)—the only difference is hydrogen peroxide has an extra atom of oxygen. Although it’s a chemical, hydrogen peroxide is gentle and breaks down into two natural elements: water and oxygen. Containing no chlorine, alcohols, acids, or other dangerous chemical additives, hydrogen peroxide is non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and safe to use around your whole family, including your pets.
Hydrogen Peroxide 3% - Oxygen PlusTM is also a great solution for treating tap water before watering your garden. Through oxidation, hydrogen peroxide will remove any harmful chemicals or pesticides found in ordinary tap water. As a bonus, watering your plants with hydrogen peroxide-treated water will encourage strong and healthy growth. The additional oxygen atom found in hydrogen peroxide helps plants’ roots better absorb nutrients from the surrounding soil which leads to faster, healthier, and more vigorous growth over time.